Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

I love dessert year round, but the best is something cold in the summer...

Now that it's nearly 100 degrees outside, I feel it's appropriate to break down my favorite places for ice cream in the valley.

1. Sugar Bowl 4005 N. Scottsdale Rd. Scottsdale

The atmosphere here is reason enough to go. Pink and white striped wallpaper, white wrought-iron chairs, the formica counter wrapped in chrome. The place was opened in 1958 and is a Scottsdale landmark. If you have ever read the comic strip Family Circus by Bil Keane, you'll be impressed by the connection to the Sugar Bowl.

Enough about the place, let's talk ice cream...

I ALWAYS get the Buster Brownie. It's a freshly-baked brownie topped with vanilla ice cream, topped with marshmallow, whipped cream, and topped with a cherry. As you may have imagined, this thing is huge and may be shared. If you can allow yourself to do so, you're a bigger person than me... You can also substitute any of their amazing flavors of ice cream for the vanilla if you feel so inclined.

My mom always gets the Camelback soda, which is basically a float, but with any ice cream you desire and a flavor of syrup. I have also seen more than one friend tackle the Desireme (D-sire-me) Banana Split and loved it.

Please bring anyone who needs amazing ice cream topped with a little nostalgia!

2. Mary Coyle 5521 N. 7th Ave. Phoenix

This place is also a landmark, opened in 1951. A rather unassuming building, you might miss it as you drive by. I love that this place has a drive-thru...perfect for those days where it's absolutely too hot to get out of the car!

The ice cream flavors are so yummy! I can never decide which to get. I can barely finish a two scoop sundae of the chocolate almond, but it's probably my favorite. They also have a selection of sherbets, yogurts, and sugar free ice creams, for those not wanting the 16% butterfat ice cream (crazy, I know...but SOOO worth the calories!)

3. Don and Charlie's 7501 E. Camelback Rd. Scottsdale

I know, this is a steakhouse...BUT you haven't *lived* until you have had the goldbrick sundae. I'm not exactly a plain Jane vanilla kinda girl...but this is the BEST vanilla ice cream I've ever had. It is topped with the most amazing hardened "goldbrick" chocolate sauce. It is made with chocolate chips, butter, evaporated milk, and pecans - so you know you're in for a decadent treat.

It comes out in a frosty dessert glass and a sturdy spoon. You'll need this utensil and a little elbow grease to breach the hull of this sucker, not to mention fight off your dining partner from getting any of your sundae. Wars may be fought over this one...

4. Zinburger 25o2 E. Camelback Rd. Phoenix

So your burger might be amazing...but you absolutely must save room for the creme brulee shake. Some people describe it as being more vanilla than creme brulee, but HELLO?? That's what the flavor of creme brulee IS! Ugh...anyway. The subtle flavor of burnt sugar is what is so wonderful. They also make a banana's foster shake that is pretty darn tasty. Split this one, though. One is WAY too much for just myself, and that is saying something.

5. Grateful Spoon Gelato 4410 N. 40th St. Phoenix

It's not "ice cream" per se, but it is cold and delicious, so it makes the cut. There are a few gelato places in the area, but this is my favorite. I like the location, next to La Grande Orange (or "LGO" as the hipsters call it).

The parking lot is a nightmare, but if you're lucky, you can snag a spot not taken by some 50K car and zip in for a miniature cup of pistachio or maybe the tiramisu.

In a little cup there is enough flavor to satisfy the craving without breaking the calorie budget. To cut that number even more, try one of the many refreshing fruit flavors. nom nom nom

No comments:

Post a Comment